Recipe: Bavarian Apple Torte with Mascarpone filling and Walnut Topping
Prep: 20 min Cook Time: 42 min Total: 1 hr 5 min Servings: 12
- ½ cup butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 8-ounce package mascarpone cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced thin
(Note: I usually only use 2 apples and just make one layer of apples on the torte. If you like more apples, feel free to do more than one layer. I love Granny Smiths for this recipe.)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Cream together crust ingredients until well mixed using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Press crust dough flat into the bottom of a springform pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend mascarpone cheese and sugar well with a hand mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour mixture over crust.
- Mix cinnamon and brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Toss apples in mixture then layer over the top of the mascarpone cheese mixture in the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450º F. Reduce heat to 400º F and bake 25 minutes more. Sprinkle the top with walnuts and turbinado sugar and continue baking until lightly browned, 5-7 more minutes.
- Cool before removing from pan. Run a knife around the edges of the springform pan before removing the side.