Recipe: Shrimp Ceviche with Avocado
Prep: 30 min Total: 1 hr 30 min Servings: 8
- 1 lb raw or cooked jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined & tails off
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice (about 6 large limes)
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 large lemons)
- 1 pint cherry tomato medley, quartered
- 1 large avocado medium dice
- ½ cup shallots small dice (Brunoise)
- ½ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded & small dice (Brunoise)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I added about 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and Pepper)
- If using frozen shrimp, add it to a medium bowl and cover with cold tap water. Thaw, changing water from time to time.
- Squeeze juice from lemons and limes, add to a large bowl. DO NOT use bottled juice.
- Drain shrimp and give it a gentle squeeze. Medium dice shrimp and add to the bowl with ½ cup lime juice and ½ cup lemon juice.
- Marinate raw shrimp in refrigerator for ½ to 1 hour or until opaque and pink. Acid will “cook” the shrimp. Be sure to check the shrimp every 15 minutes or so. Do not overcook.
- While shrimp is marinating, dice tomato, avocado, shallots, cilantro, jalapeño and add to another bowl. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of remaining lime and lemon juice and gently fold. Salt and Pepper to taste. Refrigerate if making ceviche with raw shrimp.
- Once shrimp are ready, using a 4” ring mold, add vegetables to serving plate. Without removing ring mold, top vegetables with shrimp. Remove ring mold.
- Garnish with Cilantro and Pickled Jalapeño.
- Carefully add reserved marinade to plate, encircling shrimp and avocado.
- Serve cold with tortilla chips, or on a tostada and even in tacos.
- Remember tortilla chips are salty. I would salt after the taste test with a chip.